Sunday, September 25, 2016



I have been wanting to try my hand at sublimated Key Fobs/wrist bands for some time now and finally have gotten the materials to try this out.

What you will need:

*Sublimation printer
*Heat Press
I found mine on Amazon. I have found since I purchased, the vendor has raised the price slightly. So you may find it less expensive with a different vendor online. What you are looking for is 100% Poly heat printable webbing.

*You will also need lanyard key fob hardware.
I also found the hardware on Amazon from this same vendor. 

*Lastly, you will need a special pair of pliers to secure the hardware onto the lanyard.

You can use regular pliers you just to ensure you have some painters tape around the teeth of the pliers not to scratch the fob hardware

if you do not want to invest this much qty to your project, all of these items are found at your local Hobby Lobby or Michael's store. HOWEVER, it may be cost effective to just purchase in bulk.
With the lanyard and hardware I purchased, I can make at least 50 fobs


DIRECTIONS ON HOW TO MAKE KEY FOBS

You will want to print your design from your design program you have with your sublimation printer. I personally use Corel Draw as my design program. 
I made sure my design was a little over 1" wide and choose to make it 10" long (FOLDED OVER WOULD BE AROUND 2.5" ON EITHER SIDE)
Making the design a little over 1" wide ensure that your design will completely cover side to side of the lanyard. 
Your heat press should be set a 400 degrees for 40 seconds 
Pre-press the lanyard for 3 sec at 305 degrees
On a side table lay the design (design face up) and place the lanyard over the design, use heat press tape to make sure the lanyard stays in place
Place your sheet of heat protector paper over your heat press pad and place the lanyard with design on that, cover with another piece of heat protection paper
Heat press for 40 seconds 
When complete, remove the lanyard and remove the design paper. 
Repeat the steps for the other side of the lanyard.

There is a great video by Conde Video creating Key Fobs.
You can also search YouTube for other amazon key fob tutorials.

Here are my creations I plan on giving to my family.
The fobs that I will be selling will be posted on my website store soon! They will range from $7 on up depending the design detail and customization. 

These key fobs can be created with just the sublimated design like pictured or a decorated ribbon can be sewn or heat bonded in the middle over the sublimation. That decorated ribbon is made of grosgrain poly which can also be sublimated upon. 
The design options are really endless. 

If you do not have a sublimation printer... no problem. you can sew all the items and make your key fob. There are also videos on YouTube for non sewing and sewing key fob tutorials
I also plan on looking into bracelet hardware to make bracelets out of the lanyard as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment